Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a Vice President of Strategic Communications to lead the organization’s overall communications strategy and provide leadership to management for all day-to-day communications operations. Key responsibilities include strategic message formation (including earned press and digital media), communications team leadership, partnership with Development for fundraising initiatives and coordinating an organization-wide communications strategy.
This position is planned to start April 4, 2022, with an overlap with the VP Communications incumbent
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer, and vouchers.
The responsibilities of the Vice President of Strategic Communications include:
- Lead the organization’s overall communications strategy, provide leadership to management for all day-to-day communications operations. Key responsibilities include strategic message formation (including earned press and digital media), communications team leadership, partnership with Development for fundraising initiatives and initiating and coordinating an organization-wide communications strategy.
- Align communication strategies and tactics with AU’s strategic plan, including email marketing, earned, paid and digital media; campaigns and message as well as brand development. Serve as thought-partner for CEO for organizational initiatives related to visibility, influence & resource development.
- Using the new brand manual & data-driven research, implement a cohesive and persuasive messaging strategy to most effectively advance AU’s mission and goals and reach a range of audiences, including the general public, the existing base of AU supporters, new audiences including the new generation of leaders and people of color), faith leaders, coalition partners, media, policymakers and funders.
- Help lead public opinion research
- Take advantage of and advance AU’s new brand and integrate it into AU’s legal work, public policy work, advocacy campaigns, and grassroots education and engagement efforts.
- Help create and elevate the brand and public profile of AU’s President and CEO.
- Collaborate extensively with the CEO and cultivate strong working relationships with senior staff, consultants, and communications counterparts at allied organizations, and help develop/manage multi-departmental initiatives.
- Project manage multiple communications initiatives, define priorities and find balance in a hectic and bustling department while promoting a positive work environment. Manage staff of 4-5 including media relations, digital and creative functions.
Experience, Skills, And Abilities Required
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively more responsible communications leadership experience, at least five with a cause-oriented nonprofit
- Excellent writing, editing, polished communication skills and strong project management skills required.
- Experience with a wide range of communications skills, from interpreting research to constructing campaigns to digital engagement.
- Able to strategize while keeping a finger on the pulse of relevant issues and culture while bringing savvy media messaging in politically charged situations.
- Ability to design and implement a comprehensive set of communication strategies (messaging, press, and digital)
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United For Separation Of Church And State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders, and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes, and abilities. We welcome people who will want to help us protect religious freedom for all and help to protect the separation of church and state, and we recognize that that requires diverse perspectives.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying, and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits : Salary is $130,000 - $160,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefits package including employer-paid premiums for health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, 401(k) with match, and commuter subsidy.
Please e-mail a resume and cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified, to email@example.com
Americans United is an equal-opportunity employer and places strong emphasis on a diverse environment in which individuals are valued regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, cultural background, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic.