Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all people in the United States. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans.
The Position and its Principal Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the CEO, Rachel Laser, who joined the organization is 2018, the chief operating officer’s primary responsibilities are to ensure that Americans United has policies and procedures in financial management, human resources, and other administrative areas that will enable the organization to grow, evolve, thrive, and take on new challenges. This person will also play a key role on the organization’s senior management team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serving as the senior business partner to the CEO by assessing the financial implications of key opportunities and decisions the organization is considering.
- Leading the process to develop an annual operating budget that reflects the organization’s strategic goals.
- In close collaboration with the chief financial officer, who reports to the COO, ensuring that the organization produces periodic financial reports that are timely, accurate, and understandable, and that include clear analyses of the organization’s financial health.
- Serving as board administrator, which includes helping to plan and organize board meetings, staffing the board’s governance and finance committees, and managing the board intranet.
- Reviewing contracts and other significant financial transactions to ensure their accuracy, fit with the organization’s mission and program, and compliance.
- With the CFO and board, monitoring the work of investment advisors and reviewing investments.
- Supervising human resources, including, as an immediate priority, hiring American United’s first fulltime HR professional.
- Overseeing IT (much of which is outsourced to other entities) and facilities (leased office space in Washington, DC).
- Mentoring and managing a small team that includes a two-person finance and accounting department, the new HR professional, and an operations director.
- Serving on the senior management team with the CEO and others.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
As the person overseeing the financial and administrative management of Americans United, the chief operating officer will be:
- Highly knowledgeable about nonprofit accounting and financial management at organizations that have budgets of at least $10 million and revenue from donors that include private foundations.
- For-profit financial management experience would also be valuable. An MBA or CPA is not required, but desirable.
- A strong strategic thinker, able to provide a high level of business skill and judgment to the CEO, other senior staff, and the board of directors as the organization considers new programs to carry out its mission.
- An effective communicator, orally and in writing, especially in presenting and explaining financial data to staff and board members.
- An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts.
- Fully committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and how they can support and enhance both programmatic work and internal staffing and atmosphere.
- A person with the confidence and presence to work effectively with a high-level board of directors that includes financially-astute members.
- A person with excellent people skills, with the ability to build trusting relationships with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Supportive of the mission of the organization, and fully comfortable working at an organization that deals with a range of issues related to religious freedom in the United States.
The anticipated salary will be $160,000 to $180,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health insurance for the employee and all dependents.
1) cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified, and
to search consultant Larry Slesinger, Founder and CEO of Slesinger Management Services, at Larry@SlesingerManagement.com. Please include “Americans United” in subject line.
Questions: Contact Larry Slesinger by email or 301-320-0680.
Americans United is an Equal Opportunity Employer.